This easy dinner is ready in 30 minutes, takes advantage of apples, apple cider, and the flavors of fall. The whole family will love it. Begin by caramelizing onions, searing chicken breasts, adding garlic, and allow the chicken to finish cooking by simmering in an apple cider and Dijon mustard mixture that’s full of rich flavor. While the chicken simmers, apples are caramelized with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice for brightness.
- prep time 10 MINUTES
- cook time 20 MINUTES
- total time 30 MINUTES
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia onion, sliced into thin strips
- about 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1-inch wide strips or use chicken breast tenders
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced or pressed
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium red apples, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch wedges (I did not peel and used Gala. Fuji, Honeycrisp, or similar red apples may be used)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves (stems discarded), finely chopped
- To a large skillet, add the oil, onions, and cook over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until onions begin to soften and caramelize; stir frequently.
- Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, flipping and stirring intermittently so all sides cook evenly. Chicken should be about 80 percent cooked through.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir frequently.
- To a medium bowl or large measuring cup, add the apple cider, Dijon, whisk to combine, and add to the skillet. Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. While the chicken simmers, make the apples.
- To a separate large skillet, add the butter and heat over medium-high heat to melt.
- Add the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, stir to combine, and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until apples are just tender. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Taste the chicken and cider-Dijon mixture, add additional salt or pepper to taste, if desired.
- Evenly sprinkle with sage and serve immediately. Dish is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store chicken and apples in separate containers. Reheat gently as desired.
Did you find post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest !